A parentʼs guide to relieving childhood pains
This booklet is dedicated to children in the hope that they may live happier, healthier lives.
- Muscles move bones and can compress nerves and joints.
- A healthy muscle is strong, flexible and pain-free.
Treatment Area: Skull
Condition: Headaches, sinus problems, stress relief
Signs/Symptoms: Tender areas in front, top &/or sides of skull. Pressure &/or pain in head.
1) Use palm of hands to gently compress forehead and base of skull. Hold for 1 to 3 seconds and release. Repeat several times. [aka squishy head]
Treatment Area: Sinuses
Condition: Sinus problems, headaches
Signs/Symptoms: Tender areas in temples, jaw and face. Pressure &/or pain in head. Runny nose, sinus drip, stuffy nose.
- Use fingertips to massage temples upward with slow, gently strokes.
- Pinch thumb and first finger together. Compress straight into bridge of nose. Slowly and gently press bridge of nose left, right, up and down.
- Use one fingertip to press directly into each corner of the nose then gently massage.
Treatment Area: Ears
Condition: Ear infections, Otits Media [usually only one ear involved], sore throat, sinus problems,
Signs/Symptoms: External ear may be red and elevated local temperature. Complaint of pain, hearing diminished, and/or tugging/rubbing ear.
- Massage groove below ear. Usually very sensitive to touch. If temperature slightly elevated apply cool, damp cloth repeatedly. Eliminate dairy and sugar intake until infection gone.
- Massage ear lobes and gently traction them away from the skull.
Treatment Area: Throat
Condition: Sore throat, hoarse voice, coughing, sinus problems
Signs/Symptoms: Painful swallowing.
- Have child swallow and identify painful spot on throat. Gently squeeze tender muscles running alongside trachea.
- Press into top of collarbone along the midline divot where tender muscle inserts.
Treatment Area: Chest
Condition: Coughing, sinus problems, colds
Signs/Symptoms: Wheezing, coughing sputum, shortness of breath
- While child is saying ʻaaaaaaahhhhhhhhʼ, gently pound into chest and upper back with bottom of fists.
Treatment Area: Neck
Condition: Neck and shoulder pain and stiffness
Signs/Symptoms: Locked neck muscles [wry neck], loss of motion, weakness
- While child lays face up place one hand under base of skull and gently traction. Other hand gently slides down neck muscles into shoulder.
- Gently traction skull as you flex, rotate and laterally stretch neck.
Treatment Area: Belly
Condition: Upset stomach, digestive issues, stomach pain, bowel problems
Signs/Symptoms: Bloating, tenderness, firmness/hardness, vomiting,
- Massage stomach in clockwise motion. Lightly touch and hold areas of severe discomfort. Use flat hand first to rub then use fingers to walk around the belly.
Treatment Area: Pubic bone
Condition: Urinary problems
Signs/Symptoms: Urinary tract infections [UTI], bladder dysfunction
- While child is sitting on toilet gently press in and down into bladder to help completely void. Then hook bladder with fingertips and tug superiorly.
- Press into top of pubic bone where tender.
Treatment Area: Knees
Condition: “growing pains”, knee pain
Signs/Symptoms: knees crack and pop, knees ache, painful to squat or jump
- Press straight into mid thigh to compress tight quads
- Press down into top of kneecap where muscle inserts
- Press down into top of tibia bone to massage tendon attachment of quads